AOF Activities & Events
The polls are closed, the votes counted. A spray of loose chads go scudding in the wind. And you -- you want to climb a water tower with a rifle (or crawl back under the covers at least). But don't, please don't. We know the feeling. And Braver Angels is here to help.
Braver Angels is the conversation we've hoped for: a rational attempt to heal America's political wound; a bipartisan movement dedicated to closing the political chasm and reuniting our divided country.
Attend the online screening and discussion of the Braver Angels documentary, Reuniting America. (To get a jump on the content, see the documentary at https://vimeo.com/326913665 and use the password "angels" or visit their website, https://braverangels.org/.) It features a workshop held shortly after the 2016 election, when 8 Trump voters and 8 Clinton voters met to trade views. See for yourself how the Braver Angels methods can reduce polarization and increase respect even among people with radically different political ideas. The participants started the workshop polarized and tense. By the end, they were able to find common ground and see each other’s humanity. We will view the conversation and discuss your reactions. A leader of the local Braver Angels chapter, Ed Jaszewski, will talk about Braver Angels and answer questions. It promises to be an inspiring and uplifting experience.
Down the road, AOF's sister organization, the Sacramento Freethinkers, Atheists, & Nonbelievers (SacFAN), hopes to host one or more Braver Angels discussion sessions. If you might like to attend one, go to the event web page at https://www.meetup.com/SacFAN/events/273874114/ and leave comments.
Another knockout event of the AOF Speaker Series. Yeah, we're so cool, our coffee got iced.
How to attend:
Reason Center is closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so this meeting will be online only.
- Any time before the event: Go to https://zoom.us/download. Download & install the "Zoom videoconference tool" if you haven't already. (Do it just once; it will be good for all future online Zoom meetings.)
- Moments before the meeting: Go to https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88235150578?pwd=NE1HUi92K09jYURJYUhUcVhjMGpvQT09. It will take you to a Zoom Page.
- If it asks you to sign in: If you have a Facebook or Google account, or even an SSO account, just click one of the buttons for those, then sign in with your Facebook or Google info. Or create your own free Zoom account, but this is not necessary.
- If it wants a Meeting ID (it probably won't), the ID is 882 3515 0578.
- If it wants a passcode (it probably won't), the passcode is 166761.
- The videoconference should begin. Speakers on, please! Sit back and enjoy.
Or listen in by phone at 1-669-900-6833. Same meeting ID (882 3515 0578) and same passcode (166761). This is for the Sacramento area.