AOF Activities & Events
Ah the 21st Century, a great time to be a freethinker. Skeptical "unchurched" celebrities dance in the limelight: Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan, Bill Maher, Richard Dawkins, Debbie Goddard, Jen Aldrich, Tim Minchin... Articulate and charming, they draw crowds, they seize minds, they inspire us.
The 19th Century ... not so much. But the 19th Century had Robert Green Ingersoll.
Never heard of him? (*face palm*) Well now you have. Ingersoll ("the Great Agnostic," 1833-1899) was America's greatest orator: an Illinois Attorney General who toured the nation after leaving office, enlightening thousands about agnosticism, separation of religion and government, women’s rights, the value of science, and much we hold dear today. (He even came to the Metropolitan Opera House in Sacramento, on June 4, 1877!)
Now our favorite Ingersoll impersonator, local actor Sean O'Brien, will teach us about the Great Agnostic, presenting passages from some of Ingersoll's most memorable speeches, including his strong 1885 declaration about the rights of women. Join us on Sunday, December 27, 2020, at 2 p.m. for a stirring presentation.
Would you be shocked to learn that Ingersoll was a staunch Republican? How about that!
How to attend:
Reason Center is currently closed, so this meeting will be by online videoconference.
- Any time before the event: Go to https://zoom.us/download. Download & install the "Zoom videoconference tool" if you haven't already. (Do it just once; it will be good for all future online Zoom meetings.)
- Moments before the meeting: Go to https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83110309200?pwd=QjVNSU1Ba3ByRjNlc0dmbm5WYTY1UT09. It will take you to a Zoom Page.
- If it asks you to sign in: If you have a Facebook or Google account, or even an SSO account, just click one of the buttons for those, then sign in with your Facebook or Google info. Or create your own free Zoom account, but this is not necessary.
- If it wants a Meeting ID (it probably won't), the ID is 831 1030 9200.
- If it wants a passcode (it probably won't), the passcode is 264760.
- The videoconference should begin. Speakers on, please! Sit back and enjoy.
Or listen in by phone at 1-669-900-6833. Same meeting ID (831 1030 9200) and same passcode (264760). This is for the Northern California region.